Parent Resources » Parents » FAQs


Frequently Asked Questions

Attendance Hotline is 858-748-1396

What do I do if my student forgot something?  

If your student forgot an item or lunch, please drop it off in the main office. To avoid classroom interruption, the office will call and leave a message in the teachers voicemail and your student will be sent to the office.

How do I inform the school when my student is absent?

When your child is absent, please call Ms. Rebecca London, Health Technician, with any questions or concerns. 858-748-4334 ext. 2201

What if my student is tardy?

Students arriving late to school must come to the main office accompanied by a parent/guardian with a note stating the reason for their tardy. Parents may excuse up to three tardies for personal reasons per semester.

Please remember: Tardy students walking into class impacts the learning environment for everyone. Please be on time.  

What are OCIS Contracts?

Should there be a planned absence of five days or more please the front office as soon as possible to set up a homework contract for the student. A contract should also be used for extended illnesses.  A minimum of one week is required to set up an OCIS Contract.

How late can my student remain on campus after school?

It is important that students are picked up by 3:05 pm Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, and on Thursday by 1:30 as there is no supervision after-school. When it is not possible for you to pick up your student before this time, please note that ESS (Extended School Services) is available for a charge, from 6:30 am – 6:00 pm.

What if my student has no lunch?

Please try to avoid sending your child to school without a lunch packed from home, or without lunch money in their account.  The office will supply the child with a sandwich, however, this is meant to be used on those rare occasions when no other source is available.

How can my student purchase lunch?

Students can bring a lunch from home or purchase one at school. There are three ways to pay for your student's lunch:
  • By cash or check made out to PUSD Food and Nutrition. Please write the student's first and last name and PIN (if known) in the memo section of the check and place payment in one of the prepaid lunch envelopes available in the office.
  • By credit card at
  • Students may also bring in cash to buy lunch, but the above methods are preferred.

Where are the lost and found items kept on campus?

If your student has lost a sweatshirt/jacket or any other item, MCES lost and found is located at the front gate areas.  Please be sure to check periodically, as the lost and found items are donated periodically. 

What if I want to talk to my student’s teacher? 

During school hours, you may call the school number and enter your student’s teachers extension (all of the teacher’s phone extensions are 21** room #, such as room 7 is 2107) and leave them a message.

What if I want to request homework for my student?

If you would like homework for a student that missed school, please contact the teacher by leaving them a message or e-mailing them your request.